Sunday, April 01, 2007

Oh, the Places You'll Go!


Since becoming a Dad almost 3 years ago, I am always amazed at the commonalities between parenting and starting/growing a business (or a career, for that matter). This could be the subject of a book (maybe it will be one day), but in the interest of brevity, I'll stick to one main example.
I know Dr Seuss is primarily considered a children's author, but I draw some very powerful adult themes from his works. This is similar to another favourite author, Roald Dahl, who spent just as much time writing for children as he did for adults. I think they were onto something.
Dr Seuss was a childhood favourite of mine. However, I had not read him in almost 30 years when I started reading him to my son Matty (b. 2004) just a short while ago.
The path to success/failure/recovery in business is not dissimilar to the path to success/failure/recovery in life. One my favourite books Oh, the Places You'll Go! explores these ups and downs in characteristic Seussian style.
1. Initial optimism
2. Oooh, look at all these choices/distractions!
3. All right, I am setting off on my own course!
4. Hey, look at all of my fans!
5. Oops, that may have been the wrong turn!
6. It's scary and dark here.
7. Hey, where did all of my fans go?
8. I'm alone and nervous (and that scary monster is eyeing me).
9. Look at them! They're succeeding and I'm not!
10. And look at those other people - they're just playing by the rules (and waiting ...)
11. Hey, who cares about them! Look at what I'm doing!
12. I can see much clearer now. I'm going to be just fine.
13. The road ahead looks pretty bright.
This supports an earlier post I wrote about passion as being the key ingredient for overcoming adversity.
Right Sleeve could have been the template for "Oh, the Places You'll Go!". (we'd be at #12 right about now, with some #8 moments thrown in for good measure).
I always find myself lost in these "ah-ha moments" while reading these Dr Seuss books. I wish I'd understood what they were really about when they were being read to me 30 years ago. But then again, perhaps Dr Seuss had intended for us to make the inevitable mistakes so we could truly learn for ourselves.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice.

Favorite Dr. Seuss quotes:

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened."

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."